We are located at 41 N. Krome Avenue and our phone number is 305-242-4463. The Historic Homestead Town Hall Museum is located in the original Town Hall of the City of Homestead, built in 1917. It is located across the street from Losner Park, just a short distance from the newly-restored Seminole Theater. We have displays of historical artifacts, copies of photographs of early families and places and a library and archives open to researchers by appointment. We also have books, cards and other items for sale. Click on the Articles tab in the menu bar to read posts about early Homestead. Click on the Resources tab in the menu bar to view what the Museum currently has on line for those interested in the history of Homestead. We are open Wednesday through Saturday, from 1:00 – 5:00 p.m. Admission is free. We will also be open during the special events that Main Street Homestead puts on every month starting in September and running through May.
The museum was founded in 1994 through the efforts of Ruth Campbell, whose late husband, Harold “Pete” Campbell, was a grandson of Thomas Alexander Campbell, for whom Campbell Drive is named. Ruth served Homestead as a city councilperson and also was vice-mayor. After 23 years of faithful service, Ruth retired in June of 2017. Click on Ruth’s picture to view a video in which she tells the story of the museum. It was produced by Doug La Rue, the owner of radio station WKLG, in 2013.
Larry Diehl, an avid history buff and retired lawyer, is our new Executive Director.
Be sure to scroll down to check the new Bulletin Board, below the photograph of the fire engine, for new items of interest.
Read about the history of the building that houses the Town Hall Museum.
Our most popular exhibit is the City of Homestead’s original 1924 American LaFrance fire truck, which was restored by private citizens in the Tampa Bay area. It is now home again and on display in the Museum.
This comprehensive history of Everglades National Park, just web-published by Robert W. Blythe, who placed it in the public domain, is based on extensive research in federal, state, and conservation organization archives; it contains a host of information not found elsewhere and is likely to remain the definitive history of the park for some time.
Wilderness on the Edge: A History of Everglades National Park, is 640 pages long and includes dozens of historic photos and about two dozen maps created just for this work. The author, Robert W. Blythe, prepared a comprehensive index and the appendices include all the Park’s legislation, visitation figures, a chronology and a glossary of names.
To download this book, click on the link in the drop down menu under the Resources tab.